Welcome to Legends of Kateria, an open plot, original fantasy board. We're a character centric board, though we do have "plot arcs" at all times. Check out the rules, and feel free to ask any questions! We'd love to have you!

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

oil and water, t: marie
teagan altair
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 04:16 PM
Quote Post
N/A
N/A
N/A
Members
N/A
3 POSTS

Being chosen as an elite wasn't surprising in a familiar way for Teagan. She had worked tirelessly for it, after all, had sacrificed blood, sweat, and tears for it, and had worked day in and day to prove herself as worthy. Being chosen wasn't surprising in the expected way, no, but it was still surprising nonetheless. After all, her magic and the element it borrowed from wasn't really anything unique. It was powerful, sure, but she was certain she could say the same of others. She had also disqualified her own self from ever being anything remotely like a strategist, having been entirely too high-strung and outright emotional during that test to even be allowed to try further. There were others, she was sure, that could have taken the spot she got who would have been just as worthy and just as dedicated, so why her? That was what surprised her most; not hat she'd been considered at all, because she had certainly done her best for that, but that she'd been chosen over a sea of people that were just as good and motivated as she was. What had been the final tipping point?

Then again, there were a lot of factors that went into this, right? They picked elites based not only on personal skill but on how well the constructed team could function. There was usually a godawful amount of thought that went into teaming up the class, wasn't there? And she hadn't met any of her new classmates, so she really couldn't say what about her own abilities would supposedly mesh with anyone elses. She suspected a few people she'd seen around had been picked, but it was hard to say without ever having actually met anyone. It didn't help that there wasn't really any nice little introduction ceremony, either, though she supposed that might be took much to ask of what was essentially a military academy. A little too homey.

That didn't stop her from trying to seek them out. Uniforms helped, thankfully, and soon enough she spotted a familiar mantle, though the girl wearing it wasn't familiar at all. Granted, she didn't know everyone, or really many people at all, but she figured she would at least vaguely recognize faces eventually. This girl was a stranger, completely new and entirely foreign.

And scared. Or upset? Something about her entire body language was off in a way that seemed disturbing, outright uncomfortable. For a second Teagan was all too tempted to leave her alone and let her be, but eventually curiosity got the best of her and she found herself approaching, her eyebrows raised as she stepped closer as softly and non-threateningly as she could.

"Uh... are you okay?"
PM
^
Marie Callisto
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 05:22 PM
Quote Post
Oracle Transfer
??
Members
Melli
4 POSTS

The uniform didn't fool anyone and she knew it.

It was odd to wear it to start with. The cotton was a much different texture than she was used to, soft yet stiff in the collar rubbing against her neck. The woolen portions of her uniform were itchy and she did everything she could not to fidget with it, but in particularly self-conscious moments (read: all the time), she couldn't help but occupy herself with scratching. Already she had fingernail marks up and down her arms from this incessant scratching, from pure nerves.

She hadn't been entirely sheltered in her time at the Oracles' Temple, meaning she at least had the slightest bit of interaction with fellow oracles and the priests that helped her. Otherwise she had little to no social practice whatosever, and many topics these adolescents discussed were often lost on her. She was left scrambling, confused, paralyzingly different.

Hell, she hadn't even realized she'd reached some kind of top tier class until she was congratulated by a few students here or there. Apparently her uniform distinguished her from this rest, which already had her wondering if she'd put on the wrong attire. Yet every teacher she spoke to confirmed that she was correct-- for some strange reason she'd been taken from the temple and plopped right down in the academy as Elite status, an oracle apparently needed in this year's class.

But she had no clue how to use her own magic, save for situations that were incredibly dire. Certainly she was well-attuned to prophecies and catching glimpses of future events, but she knew not how to channel any of that into anything practical, like defending herself or healing others. For this reason she found herself in the study, reading up on whatever she could about magic, following the advice written on every page and having very little luck in making it work.

In fact, she didn't realize just how distressed she appeared until someone else was there. "Teagan," she said before turning, recognizing the girl's voice before she even saw her face. Not because of exposure, no-- but because she'd seen her before in dreams. That made her mind even more muddled, as context was finally coming into those incredibly vague memories. What was happening with her again?

"Sorry, um-- I'm-- I'm very confused. I'm trying to figure out--" She pointed to the book in front of her, a book on beginning magic, no less, her expression incredibly sheepish. She had no place here.
PM
^
teagan altair
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 08:02 PM
Quote Post
N/A
N/A
N/A
Members
N/A
3 POSTS

Hearing her name uttered so casually by a complete stranger was jarring. Having never been the type to strip any emotion from her face made her shock obvious, too, with her wide eyes and her hanging jaw. How and why did this girl know her name? Not only had she never once seen her in her life, but she was fairly certain that she had kept to herself and out of the way during most of her own stay at the academy. She wasn't a social person by any means. In fact, she'd spent pretty much her entire time at the school studying for this, striving for this moment.

So how did this girl know her?

"Uh, I..." Reigning in her thoughts and untangling the what-ifs and hows was hard. Every inch of her was screaming in panic about this, about how some girl knew her name without any rhyme or reason as to how, and for a second she was drowning in it, positively sinking in the mess of the situation before she attempted to logic her way through it. The elite class, while bigger this year than previous years, still wasn't big. At most there were twelve of them, maybe less. That meant a small amount of names to remember, didn't it? And she imagined there had to be a roster somewhere. Maybe in the classroom or maybe she had just asked. It wasn't too unheard of. Then again, pairing a name to a face never seen before wasn't exactly easy, was it? How did this girl know she was Teagan? She wasn't the only other girl in the class, that much she knew for a fact.

It was just weird, but she'd already committed to making sure girl was alright. She wouldn't back out now, either, though she wasn't really sure she'd be sticking around much after. Just the entire situation made her feel a little antsy.

"Right... I'm Teagan. I... don't know who you are though, I'm sorry. Are you new?" She couldn't have been so oblivious that she would have never noticed this girl, right? She prided herself in being at least decently observant. She didn't know everyone at the school, of course, because that would be silly, but this was a girl that used magic which meant that eventually their paths would have had to have crossed. How had they not? There was no way she'd just missed another skilled mage, right?

What made that even worse was the eventual reveal of what the other girl was reading. Beginning Magic? How had she made it to the Elite class? How was she even here at all if she couldn't control or even harness magic at all? "You're..." she started, blinking, her head tilting as she frowned at the other girl. No matter how much she wanted to run, she couldn't deny that there wasn't a single intimidating thing about Marie. Nothing about her screamed danger. She was small and scared and nervous. "I can try to help, if you want?"
PM
^
Marie Callisto
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 08:31 PM
Quote Post
Oracle Transfer
??
Members
Melli
4 POSTS

Oh, right. It wasn't normal to know someone's name upon first meeting them. Surprisingly that was something she had to learn-- typically she had a vague idea of who someone was long before she ever met them, and that sort of thing was actually encouraged where she'd come from. Not that she knew any details aside from name and general appearance unless it was particularly relevant, unless she was prodded to look into it even more. Her memory of Teagan was just a tiny flash of her face and her name, with the slightest bit of personality to add to it. The girl was incredibly intelligent, Marie knew. And she was kind enough to help, which took some of the uncertainty off of Marie's shoulders.

"Sorry," Marie said again, brow furrowing as she studied the girl's features. She supposed she could see how that might throw someone off, especially paired with the fact that Marie was a brand new face with absolutely no knowledge of magic whatsoever. She ran her teeth over her bottom lip as she considered that, clearing her throat as she tried to figure out a way to explain all of this. It was okay to say she was from the temple, right? Would that just ostracize or more or explain everything?

She figured it was best to just roll with what was happening for now. "I'm new, yeah," she answered with a nervous attempt at a smile. Her voice was so soft that it was barely audible, as if she was absolutely terrified of being overheard. Simple conversations like these had been heavily discouraged at the temple; this would take a lot of getting used to. And for a few moments she forgot to give her name, if only because she'd never really done so before. Most everyone she met knew who she was.

"Oh, I'm Marie," she said quickly, though soon enough the girl's attention was drawn to the book in front of her regardless. Marie flushed a deep shade of red in embarrassment, realizing just how stupid she likely looked. Even she knew she didn't belong here. "You really don't have to if you're um-- if you're busy or something. I understand if-- I um. I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point. I'm--" She concentrated deeply as she stared at the book, brow furrowed as she tried to produce just the slightest bit of magic in her hands.

Nothing.
PM
^
teagan altair
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 10:28 PM
Quote Post
N/A
N/A
N/A
Members
N/A
3 POSTS

There was no recovering from the initial jar of her earlier shock. It was only made worse by the fact that she was new and even outright admitted it. If she'd never been here before, how was she picked as an elite? And how did she know the names of her classmates? Where could she have even come from? The rest of the elites had been picked because they'd shown progress and strength through years and years of training. This girl brought in on a whim was not only boggling, but it almost outright demeaned all of her struggling.

She couldn't really blame this girl - Marie? - for it, though. If anything, she was likely just as lost and confused and scared as the rest of them. Even worse, probably. She'd been taken from somewhere else and brought here and, from the looks of it, it was well before she was even ready. Teagan wasn't normally the outright empathetic type but she couldn't help but feel for the girl. If anything, knowing all that made her feel more inclined to help.

"Marie. It's nice to meet you. And no, no, I'm not busy." It wasn't a lie, either. Maybe she would have been before this, before she'd been chosen for the Elite class, but they really didn't have anything to do yet. For such a special class, they sure were left in the dark about a lot of things.

She expected to at least have some kind of briefing or a meeting or something but thus far all she had gotten were a set of keys and some directions. "What are you having problems with?" That was a broad question, wasn't it? This was clearly a book about beginning with magic. That likely meant she knew nothing at all and that was... intimidating. Especially if it was any kind of magic that Teagan wasn't familiar with.

PM
^
Marie Callisto
 Posted: Aug 22 2016, 08:43 PM
Quote Post
Oracle Transfer
??
Members
Melli
4 POSTS

Nice to meet her. Marie wondered how long it would take the girl to change her mind on that matter. She had a tendency to believe she wasn't worth anyone's time; eventually people would grow tired and impatient with her, at least that was the case in her mind. Self-deprecation came easy to her if only because she thought of herself as a terrible person. By the same token, however, she knew just how exhausting self-deprecation could be; she considered herself a burden on anyone who befriended her, even with this girl now.

So instead of returning the sentiment, Marie just nodded, concentrating on the book instead of these social niceties. It wasn't that she didn't want to be around people. In fact she quite liked them. She was quite fascinated by them and believed the best in most people, she just... didn't necessarily enjoy the social anxiety that came with such interactions. Even now she was side-eying the girl every few seconds, as if determining whether or not she was a threat.

"I um-- all of it," she answered easily, face contorting in a way that made it clear she was beating herself up internally. "I'm-- I have magic--" Too much of it-- "But I just don't know how to channel it, really? I'm about to start these advanced classes and I won't--" While she avoided eye contact with Teagan, it might have been clear by her expression just how panicked she was. She knew she wasn't quite worthy of the Elite class, much less this school entirely if she had no skillset to speak of.

Except for that remarkable ability to catch glimpses of the future, no matter how dark they might be. Even now her brain picked up on an image that wasn't there, shiny in a way she'd grown accustomed to understanding as something that would occur later. It wasn't distinct. She just saw the girl happy even despite their impending struggles, in love with someone in their class. And there it was-- that fascination, that exposure to a story she wanted to see to the end. "Do you know anyone else in the Elite class?" She asked out of sheer curiosity, aware that initiating this question out of the blue was a little strange.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll